Existing Products Research

Original Pitch

The video above is the opening clip for the series Utopia (UK) that was created in 2013. Utopia is a series that was first aired on channel 4 on January 15th 2013 and ran for two seasons and was a show about a group of conspiracy theorists who stumble upon a large and dangerous corporation with the goal of wiping out an insane amount of people in a genocide so the remaining people live with enough resources to live on longer. My short film will take aspects from this show such as the idea of a large and powerful government figure that controls and effects the story while the protagonists have to deal with what the government wants and what they do. 

The characters used in this sequence, Arby/Pietre (played by Niel Maskell) and Lee (played by Paul Ready) are massive inspirations for the antagonists in my short film as the character of Arby/Pietre and Lee are both extremely threatening but in very different ways as Arby is stone cold and straight forward and basically shows no emotion but is threatening by how he looks like he couldn't care less about the actions that he commits and Lee is a character that is very lively and eccentric as he wears a bright yellow suit and seems more rational when it comes to what he does but is willing to do anything as long as hes pushed to to so.


In this scene shots of Arby when he asks the most important question in his interrogation the camera slowly creeps forward as he asks it and this technique is very effective as it shows the paranoia of the other character and shows the importance of the question "where is Jessica Hyde" In my short film I will definitely be using this technique as it shows the intensity of the actors face and allows the scene to have more movement instead of it becoming quite bland and just standard as the camera just stays static. 


In this shot of the opening of utopia the two characters that are involved in the interrogation are left in focus whilst all the people in the background are left out of focus this technique is called having a shallow depth of field and the way to generally do this technique is to increase the aperture on the camera. This technique is very useful as it guides the viewers eyes and shows them whats the most important thing to be observing but also at the same time doesn't completely exclude the background and this means that things can happen in the background and its just visible enough to be recognised like for example in this scene the brutal act being done in the background is overshadowed by the simple conversation these two men are having in the foreground showing both of the villains power in the situation but in very different ways. 

This show has a very distinctive colour palette as the show due to it's budget restraint couldn't have proper colour correction as there wasn't time nor the money for it so the show landed on a very unique situation, go black and white or come up with something creative. Obviously they chose the creative option and decided to use saturation to their advantage and they simply turned up the saturation and this created the shows signature look as colours no matter how dark or muted pops and creates a look that looks very indie but also very beautiful depending on the scenes on set lighting. This kind of colour correction is definitely not conventional as its quite outlandish and indie but it's definitely something i want to replicate in my short film as one of the upsides of this over saturated look is the fact that it can look otherworldly and quite like a comic book which definitely matches my vision for my film as the characters and story are quite comic book like in the way that the characters are people with super powers and the story consists of taking on a large shadow government. 
 

The video above is scenes from the 2012 found footage film chronicle. Chronicle is a film that's about 3 young boys in secondary school in Chicago that stumble upon a mysterious object and begin shortly afterwards finding out they have all acquired powers, more specifically telekinesis. The 3 teenagers all begin using all of their new abilities in new and unique ways from each other as the popular kid uses it to have fun in his spare time whilst the antisocial kid begins using it to try gain the attention of others around him and this slowly leads him down a wrong path and the two others with powers realise they have to stop him.

The clips that are shown in the video above are the exact sort of vibe and general kind of acting want from my protagonists in my short film as it exudes a youthful energy that is great for showing Sunderland's young teenagers and how they talk. 

Not just simply from an acting perspective am I inspired by this film but also by its story and characters as three people with superpowers testing them out and having fun is both something that is in the film Chronicle and also something I am wanting to implement into my film.




This Video above is a clip from the Amazon Prime show The Boys. The Boys is a show that is about superheroes and seeing a twisted and different version of the most iconic superheros in our society such as superman. This show is meant to directly oppose the "normal" superhero film or tv show as the "hero's" are the antagonists and and the "villains" are the protagonists. This doesn't only just mean the story is darker and more mature which it definitely is but it also means that the action and the main focus of the show is mostly dialogue.

Original Pitch

Sadly due to scheduling conflicts when it came to working with my previous cast and crew I am not able to fully deliver on creating the previous pitch idea which was a superhero story about three people and five small villains.

But not to worry as I feel I can create a different film using only myself and very simple and effective techniques and taking a lot of inspiration from inspiring pieces of art such as Bo Burnham‘s comedy special “Inside”.

"Inside" is an incredible comedy special created by Bo Burnham. Released in 2021, it serves as a source of inspiration for my upcoming short film, particularly in terms of its visually captivating elements.

Bo Burnham's "Inside" showcases his exceptional talent in cinematography, lighting, and editing techniques. I am greatly inspired by his innovative use of visuals to tell a compelling story within the confines of a single room. The way he experiments with camera angles, perspectives, and framing creates a dynamic visual narrative that keeps the audience engaged. I plan to incorporate similar techniques in my short film, exploring different angles and framing choices to create visually interesting shots that capture the essence of the story I want to tell.

The use of contrasting visual styles in "Inside" is another aspect that resonates with me. Burnham juxtaposes bright and vibrant visuals with darker, more somber moments to effectively convey shifts in tone and emotions. I intend to adopt a similar approach in my short film, utilizing contrasting visuals to highlight the contrasting emotions or themes within the narrative. This technique will help me create a visual language that enhances the storytelling and evokes specific emotional responses from the audience.

Additionally, I am inspired by Burnham's creative use of framing and composition. He carefully arranges the set and props within his room, using them as visual elements to enhance the storytelling. I plan to pay attention to the placement of objects and characters within the frame, using them to add depth, symbolism, and visual interest to my shots. By considering these elements, I aim to create visually captivating moments that elevate the overall aesthetic appeal and meaning of my short film.

Furthermore, Burnham's editing techniques in "Inside" greatly inspire me. His use of quick cuts, montages, and transitions enhances the rhythm, emotion, and pacing of the special. I intend to experiment with similar editing techniques to heighten the impact of my visuals, creating a sense of flow and progression that adds depth to the storytelling in my short film even if it is shorter than his special by a lot.

Lastly, I am drawn to the power of simplicity and minimalism in visual storytelling, as showcased in "Inside." Despite being filmed in a single room, Burnham's creativity and attention to detail make every shot visually engaging. I plan to embrace the challenge of limited settings by focusing on creative shot compositions, playing with depth of field, and exploring unconventional camera angles. These choices will help me create visually striking moments that capture the essence of the narrative in a captivating manner.

Drawing inspiration from the visual techniques in "Inside," I aim to infuse my own short film with a distinct and visually captivating style. By experimenting, taking risks, and using visuals as a powerful tool, I hope to convey emotions, enhance storytelling, and captivate my audience, much like Bo Burnham accomplished in his extraordinary work.






Steven Suptic's "Alternative Lifestyle" is a popular YouTube series known for its unique blend of comedy, storytelling, and improvisation. As a fan of the series, I find it a great source of inspiration for my upcoming short film.

"Alternative Lifestyle" follows the fictionalized version of Steven Suptic and his friends as they navigate absurd and comedic situations in their daily lives. The series features a mix of scripted elements and improvised dialogue, creating a spontaneous and unpredictable atmosphere. The humour often comes from the characters' exaggerated personalities, witty banter, and unexpected twists in the plot.

One aspect of the series that I intend to incorporate into my short film is the use of humour to engage the audience. Alternative Lifestyle has a distinct comedic tone that balances light-hearted moments with occasional darker or more surreal humour. I want to inject a similar sense of humour into my short film, ensuring that the comedic elements resonate with the audience and enhance the overall viewing experience.

Another aspect that I find inspiring is the series' production style. Despite being a YouTube series, "Alternative Lifestyle" maintains a high production value, with visually appealing cinematography, creative editing. I intend to draw inspiration from this attention to detail and strive to elevate the production quality of my short film, ensuring that the visuals contribute to the overall impact of the storytelling.

Furthermore, "Alternative Lifestyle" often features moments of genuine emotion and character development amidst the comedic chaos. These poignant moments allow the audience to connect with the characters on a deeper level. I aim to incorporate similar moments of emotional resonance in my short film, adding depth and complexity to the characters and their journeys.

In summary, "Alternative Lifestyle" serves as a great source of inspiration for my short film. I plan to take cues from the series's humour, non-linear storytelling, high production value, and moments of emotional resonance. By infusing my own unique voice and vision, I hope to create a captivating and entertaining short film that captures the essence of what I love about "Alternative Lifestyle" and resonates with the audience.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production - Post Production

Evaluation